Are there different ways in which Gastric Bypass surgery can be performed?
Gastric Bypass Surgery is one of the most common bariatric surgeries performed in India. Gastric Bypass surgery can be performed in traditional i.e. open surgical procedure that involves larger incisions.
With the advancement in surgical techniques, nowadays, Gastric Bypass Surgery is performed through minimally invasive procedures such as Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass using a laparoscope or Robot-Assisted Gastric Bypass surgery using a sophisticated robotic surgical system.
Bariatric Surgeons perform gastric bypass surgery with certain variations such as for weight loss with:
- Restrictive gastric bypass with Roux en-Y at Proximal End – in which small intestine is divided below the lower stomach outlet and arranged into Y- configuration to allow food from the newly created small pouch in the upper stomach to move through Y-intersection formed near upper i.e. proximal end of the small intestine
This procedure not only causes early satiety due to the much smaller size of the stomach i.e. pouch but may also reduce appetite due to loss of Ghrelin, the hunger hormone.
- Malabsorptive gastric bypass with Roux en-Y at Distal End – in which The Y- intersection or connection is formed much closer to the lower (distal) end of the small intestine.
As a result, absorption of nutrients is progressively reduced causing a reduction in absorption i.e. malabsorption of food such as fats, starches besides various minerals and the fat-soluble vitamins
Does Gastric Bypass Surgery result for permanent weight loss?
Gastric Bypass Surgery in India can provide long-term weight loss that depends on your changes in lifestyle and eating habits. Regular exercise, healthy lifestyle and balanced nutrition following a Gastric bypass are essential to achieve your weight loss goals.
The fact remains that your stomach following Gastric Bypass Surgery will never be able to regain a fully functional digestive tract because of changes in the size of the stomach and reattachment of a new pouch with the small intestine.
There may be certain situations that may necessitate reversal of Gastric Bypass Surgery, such as:
- Excessive nutrition loss or malnutrition
- Chronic nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal Pain
- Massive Small Bowel i.e. Small Intestine loss due to Internal Hernia
Clinically, it has been observed that if required, a Laparoscopic or Robotic Gastric Bypass reversal is feasible despite being a tedious procedure.
What are the success rate and cost of Gastric Bypass Surgery in India?
The success rates for Gastric Bypass in India for weight loss surgery are reported to be up to 99%.
Usually, the cost of Gastric Bypass Surgery in India depends on:
- Surgeon’s status
- Type of hospital
- Condition of patients
- Pre-surgery tests and examination
- Post-surgery care
- Cost of room
- Hospital stay duration
- Medication and Nursing services availed
Get an appointment with Cosmetic and Obesity Surgery Hospital India
Cosmetic and Obesity Surgery Hospital India – the most organized promoters of medical tourism in India have a pan India network of most eminent Bariatric surgeons of India, associated with world-class hospitals that are fully equipped with the latest surgical techniques for all types of bariatric surgeries in India.
Patients seeking a systematic weight loss surgery like Gastric bypass in India may get in touch with Cosmetic and Obesity Surgery Hospital India for an appointment with leading bariatric surgeons of India