If you are looking for an economical and convenient method to warm up a small space, consider purchasing an electric heater. No matter where you are in the world, these have become quite common in households. But just like any other electrical item, there are some hazards that you need to be aware of. Therefore, there are a few safety items to keep in mind if you are using one of these heaters.
Danger of Electric Shock
As these heaters operate on electricity, there is always a chance of getting a shock. Keep in mind that these electric heaters are designed to be kept in one place, a place that does not have moisture or the possibility of coming into contact with liquids or water. For this reason, a heater should not be located in the kitchen or bathroom or any other location where there is a high probability of there being moisture.
Another consideration is that some parts of these electric heaters can become very hot and if you come in contact with them, you can end up with serious burns or injuries. Clothing can also catch on fire if they come in contact with the heater which could end up causing an even bigger fire. If a child or pet comes in contact with the heater and causes a fire, they may not even realize it and end up severely injured. Therefore, make sure that you are always watching children or pets when a heater is in use.
Using electric heaters can cause a house fire if the circuit becomes overloaded or paper, clothing or other combustible products come near and touch the heater. In a typical home, there are multiple appliances that are running on the same circuit which can cause an overload. It is also best to make sure that you are using multiple appliances at once to avoid this. Make sure that the heater is placed in a location where it is not likely to come in contact with any item that would cause a fire.
Even though electric heaters come with risks, there are still much better than the old style fuel burning heaters as there are no harmful fumes or gasses to be used. Just make sure that you check the heater every time it is used for frayed wires or dust on the grates and sparks and clean them off. If your heater is old, it may be time to get a new one.
This article is copyright protected.