If you have moved into a new property or are thinking about buying one, you may ask this question: – When does a house need a rewire? There are lots of old properties in Edinburgh, and many are in need of a rewire. Since most of us don’t have an electrical background, it would be wise to get a local electrician out to take a look over the property to advise.
What are the signs that your house may need a rewire? Speaking as an electrician, we see some examples where the property owner should have thought about a rewire a long time ago. Here are some signs that you may notice which might indicate a rewire is in order:
1) Your lights start to flicker or dim even after replacing the light bulbs.
2) The consumer unit is over 10 years old. It may not have an RCD (A Residual Current Device – This is a safety mechanism which monitors the electricity flowing through the circuits.)
3) The consumer unit has asbestos flash guards which are never on newer models due to the harmful effect of asbestos fibres if breathed in.
4) The sockets are found in skirting boards rather than the wall and perhaps have rounded pins.
5) Sockets are unresponsive.
6) Old cables which are not earthed.
7) Circuit breakers which trip regularly.
A NICEIC electrical contractor in Edinburgh offer lighting installation, electrical installation, rewiring, fuseboards, chandelier installation.
This article is copyright protected.