I have been asked this question over and over in my life and my work as a Peak Performance Coach and Turn Around Specialist. It has been asked equally between my business and personal clients and friends.
It is as simple as this. Do you know how many thoughts you have each day of your life? The average person has between 60,000 and 90,000 thoughts per day that is a lot of thoughts.
We need to understand a few things about our brains and thoughts. We are not going to get technical here; I just want to share with you some tools and techniques that WILL take you to the next level of your journey.
We have a Conscious mind and a Subconscious mind and we need to understand how they work for us and sometimes against us. The good word is that ALL of us have the capability to make changes and start directing our thoughts and manners so that we may use this most powerful tool that we have in our life. We will start with a few facts that will help you get a clearer understanding of this method.
• Your Conscious mind is the logical mind that functions with logic (Logic is another subject)
• You think with the conscious mind and it is the programmer of the subconscious mind, which is the creative mind that carries out the program.
• The subconscious mind is the automatic pilot of the mind. It does not question or evaluate things that readily come into it.
• The subconscious also regulates all of your vital functions. (think about this for a moment you do not have to tell or instruct your brain to tell your heart to pump blood, or to instruct your breathing, even that without these you would not be alive). It does this automatic.
• Your Subconscious mind processes about 100 billion bits of information per second. Your Conscious mind processes about 40 bits per second. (This is a large contrast).
• You have several types of brain waves Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta, Gamma
As you see from just a small set of facts how important your subconscious mind is to your everyday function and on all of your levels of life. Your brain does not compute the answers to problems; it retrieves the answers from your memory. Your mind is continually drawing on information from its hierarchical structure; recalling events from your past. Remember, also it pulls from how you reacted to these situations, what you said to yourself, what others said to you. It looks at how you may have reacted in fear or concern and it has made a pattern that will continue to respond in like kind each time. This keeps getting reinforced over and over. It became S.O.P. (standard operating procedure) for your patterns that govern your thought process which directs your actions toward your movement, and this can keep you from ever changing your thoughts and in reality keeping you from your goal and desire.
The Question here is what we can do to move our subconscious mind to working for us instead of against us. Please note that the suggestions that I am making here today work, even that it is a short list and for the purpose of this article it is just a starting point to help you achieve momentum and to get you moving on your turn around phase.
Scientists have proven that the subconscious mind is a million times more powerful than the conscious mind. Yes, I did say a million times more powerful. There are hundreds and hundreds of studies to back up this data. The studies I have really dug deep into come from Harvard University and Stanford University.
So, let us get our subconscious mind aboard.
• Know that you are the President and C.E.O of your life.
• You control what goes in your mind.
• You control what you say to yourself about you and your situations
• Key Point: The past Does Not Equal The Future. Adopt this as a FACT…
• Create a list of what you want to be, achieve, desire, and what makes you happy. (Really) not what makes others happy, but you.
• Get a list of things that you say to yourself on a regular basis that you KNOW is counterproductive to what you really desire. Examine these statements and create a new list of empowering statements. (The Real ONES) For you mind will work on your beliefs and we are now going to give it the truth. Please KNOW that you are special, you deserve happiness and success and that you have the ability to DO IT.
• I suggest these statements for you to affirm in your mind and heart… (Just a start)
• My Subconscious Mind is my PARTNER in success
• Then put together a different dialog with yourself and practice it over and over. We have the ability to change this. If we build the right questions we will get the right results.
• Have quiet time with yourself in prayer, meditation, visualize yourself there. Feel it.
See, It really does boil down to is what we say. What we say to ourselves. Make a conscious effort to say who you really are, what you really want to become and achieve and I will see you at the top of where ever it is your heading.
I could go on and on but this will get you started and you now have a KNOWING that it is YOU who is in the driver’s seat of your mind. I challenge you today to move forward and enjoy the ride.
“Knowing others is perspective, but knowing one’s own self is enlightened; conquering others shows strength, but conquering one’s self shows true power.” Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
This article is copyright free.